Colorado state is famous for its unique landscape consist of mountains, canyons, rivers, rock formations, forests etc. The Royal Gorge is one of the well-known canyons of the Arkansas River. It is also known as Grand Canyon of Arkansas. I have already shared the beauty of Garden of the Gods’ rock formation. The royal gorge is almost 60 miles further from Garden of the Gods. The Royal Gorge Bridge is America’s highest suspension Bridge that means this bridge has supported only at two ends. The Royal Gorge is actually the name of the canyon and this bridge built over that canyon that’s why it’s called Royal Gorge Bridge. Before we jump on things to do in Royal Gorge Bridge and Park, Let’s check out how to get there?
How to get there
- To reach Canon City, Denver International Airport and Colorado Spring Airport are the nearest airports.
- The Denver Airport is an international airport, You will get easy access to this airport from major countries. Sometimes ticket to Denver airport will be slightly cheaper than a Colorado Springs airport. From the airport, you can rent a car. It will be around 2 and half hour drive from Denver airport. And approx 1 hour 20 mins drive from Colorado Springs Airport.
- Most of the rental companies provide the shuttle from the airport to the rental outlet.
- Many of the hotels also provide pick up and drop off services. Hence, make sure you check your booking details.
Tip to explore Royal Gorge Bridge and Park
- The weather in Colorado Spring keeps changing. Keep an eye on weather update.
- At least spare 2 to 3 hours to spend at the park.
- As this park is at a higher elevation, so the temperature will be different than ground level temperature.
- If you or any family have acrophobia (fear of heights) then you have to be careful as height is more than 900 feet.
Things to do in Royal Gorge Bridge and Park
We did river rafting first in which we pass through under the Royal Gorge Bridge. Hence, we already have seen this bridge from the bottom most point in Arkansas river. After finishing the rafting we drove to the Royal Gorge bridge and park. This park is open year around even on holidays as long as weather permits. The park hours vary with season check out the Royal Gorge Park website for specific date. This bridge, built on 956 feet above the Arkansas River in Colorado Springs. The elevation is 6700 feet. It gives breathtaking views which I cannot explain in words. Even drive to Royal Gorge Park is also beautiful.
Besides the bridge, another fun thing you should not miss is Gondola ride and zip line. When you buy the general admission ticket it allows guests to access the park, bridge and all available rides, shows, and attractions. This ticket includes Miniature train, Water Clock, Plaza Theater & Historical Expo. The Skycoaster and Zip Line are extra pay features which you can buy from the visitor center. They also validate the ticket for FREE next day admission. You will also get discounted price if you purchase online.
Entry fees for the park are $23/adults and $17/Children 4 to 11. This ticket includes Gondola ride and train ride as well. These Gondola will glide 2200 feet across the bridge and 1200 feet above the Arkansas River. When we visited this park, the train was not in service, so we didn’t get a chance to explore through the train.
I am not sure you are able to see the river or not. Between too high rising rocks you can see a thin line of little bit blue color that is the river. There are plenty of companies provide White water rafting in that river, so you can enjoy views of the bridge from the river too.
You will fall in love with this place, that’s for sure. I really amazed by the engineering used for the construction of this bridge.