Seattle was my 1st home in the United States. Seattle is more about rain rather than snow. The Seattle is situated on the Pacific coast and there is no particular season for rain. So if you are visitor than do bring a poncho or umbrella and a Ziploc bag with you, you never know when it starts raining. Definitely Seattle is a costly city because its an IT hub, so plan your trip wisely or else it will cost you more than you thought.
Seattle is one of the most famous tourist attractions on the west coast of the USA. Seattle is considered as “IT” hub in the USA and home of “Boeing” and “Microsoft”.Seattle is the best place for nature lovers. It surrounded by mountains, valleys and lakes around it. You can find water sports like kayaking, sailing, etc.
How to reach Seattle?
Sea-Tac airport is an international airport and connected to all major destinations, so it will easy to get flights to Seattle.
You can take Bus / Shuttle/ Taxi/Link Light Rail to reach the hotel. If you are alone or just 2 people than a taxi would be costly. If you don’t have the bulk of luggage than I would suggest you to take a bus or link light rail.
Tips to explore Seattle like local
- If you are a first-time visitor and you don’t like to get wet, then either check the weather before you go out or Keep a raincoat or umbrella with you because it can rain anytime no matter which season.
- If you are going to stay outside downtown, then take the bus to go downtown instead of the car. so you don’t have to worry about parking.
- If you are taking public transit, then keep the change $2.25 and $2.50 for transit fare or you can buy orca card and recharge it if you are going to stay longer.
Tips to plan your trip in Budget
- Hotel Deals :- Booking your hotel is a very important task. The price of hotel varies from $150 – $600 depends how much you want to spend. There are other options as well, you can go for “airbnb” in Seattle, which will be less costly than a hotel.You can also stay in Bellevue, Redmond or Kirkland area and get a bus to go to Seattle downtown.
- Transportation Deals:- If you are planning to stay outside Seattle just check the nearest bus stand and bus numbers to catch for Seattle downtown. You can also download “trip planning king county” app to track bus route. Buy Orca card Online, mail or in person and you can recharge it from a vending machine or online. You can use this card in bus, rail or ferry. You can check orca card details here
- Attraction Deals:- Check out the “City-pass” deal, which can save to few bucks instead of buying individual tickets for the same attractions. But before buying “City-pass” check which attractions it will include. You can check City pass details here
- Food deals:- There are different deals on Groupon including “restaurant deals”. You can check the deals in advance and buy it online.
Places to visit in Seattle
Everyone knows about “Seattle Space Needle” and 1st “Starbucks” coffee shop in Seattle, but this city is more than that.
The Seattle Space needle is located at Seattle Center. You can go to Seattle Center by Bus, taxi or Monorail. We took a monorail because I never ride in the monorail. Most visitors come for this attraction so you will find pretty much long queue depends on what time of year you are visiting. We went there in winter so not that much crowd as tourist season was over. From the Observation deck you can see a 360 degree view of downtown, surrounding greenery and mountains. You can also plan your dinner date at “Skycity restaurant” with spectacular view of Seattle. We have visited at daytime, so couldn’t go to the restaurant.
The Pacific Science center is situated near space needle. The Pacific Science Center is committed to advancing the public’s understanding of science and contributing to the development of a scientifically literate society through programming for people of all ages. The Pacific Science Center offers a wide spectrum of event options. They have IMAX Theater, Laser Dome, Planetarium and Live science stage.
You can also explore the EMP Museum and Chihuly garden and glass if you have enough time.
The Pike Place market is the local public market of Seattle. This market is one of the oldest market of USA. You will find fresh seasoned fruits and vegetables also craft items in the market. It has bunch of fresh flavors in different colors and aroma. Freshly baked foods with different cuisines and flavors. You can explore specialty food too. It is place for craft & food lovers. For seafood lovers these is best place.
Of course, one of the greatest attraction is Starbucks 1st outlet, but I also like La Panier french bakery croissants and Piroshky – Piroshky Russian bakery. Turkish Delight offers delicious baklava.There are a number of places where you can eat in pike place market .
1912 Starbucks coffee shop is the place from where Starbucks originated. It is located in the Pike place public market. And most of the time you will find this place surrounded with people.
Seattle is a great place to explore art and creativity. You can explore the Seattle art museum as well as an Olympic sculpture park. These are open year around. The Seattle Arts Commission installed one of the exciting art piece is Hammering Man. It was installed on September 12, 1992 at the entrance to the downtown Seattle Art Museum at First Avenue and University Streets. The size of the hammering man is 48′ x 30″ x 7″. It is hollow-fabricated with steel with moving arm where electric motor had installed and painted with black automotive.
The Seattle Great wheel is another major source from which you can have an amazing view of nature. Its exciting huge Great wheel which gives you a ride for about 10 mins and you can see one side is city and other side nature. This Great wheel is located at the edge of the water Front Park. You can buy ticket online or at the ticket window.
In Water Front Park you can sit and enjoy cold breeze and sun rays together. You can view beautiful sun rays dropping into the water and reflecting. There is a beautiful sunset view where you can feel the sun is just falling into the water.